In this post we will deploy two vRPA(s) using the provided RecoverPoint for VMs OVA. Starting with RecoverPoint for VMs 5.0 and later. Before the vRPA deplyment, you need to download the vRA OVA in EMC support portal. After that you login into vCenter 6, all the tasks will be performing all tasks using the vCenter vSphere Web Client.
This demonstration will deploy RecoverPoint for VMs 5.0 in the following environment:
VMware vCenter 6.0 U2
VMware ESXi 6.0 U2
EMC RecoverPoint Virtual Appliance 5.0
The following diagram shows a high-level overview of one of the RPVM clusters in this environment.
NOTE: You must configure the Software iSCSI Adapter on each ESXi host and then bind VMKs before proceeding with installing RecoverPoint for VMs.
1. Now we start to deploy vRPA OVA, right-click your ESX’s DataCenter and select Deploy OVF Template.
2. You will upload the OVF for the vRPA from local disk, then click Next.
3. Review the license agreement, click Accept and then click Next.
4. In the Name, type vRPA Node Name and click on Datacenter, where the vRPA will be deployed. Click Next.
5. In this installation, we will deploy the smallest 2CPU / 4GB RAM. In a production environment the size of the vRPA will depend on the required throughput and IOPS. Click Next.
The vRPA OVA comes with four configuration profiles:
• 2x CPU, 4GB RAM
• 4x CPU, 4GB RAM
• 4x CPU, 8GB RAM
• 8x CPU, 8GB RAM
6. The vRPA VM can be deployed on any shared datastore that is accessible to all ESXi nodes in the vSphere cluster in order to allow HA vMotion of the vRPA among ESXi nodes.
It can be deployed using Thick (Eager or Lazy) or Thin. In the Select virtual disk format: list box, select Thin Provision Select a datastore from the list. Click Next.
7. In this screen you can select the vSwitch or dvswitch, you want the management interface of the vRPA to be mapped to. You can also specify whether you will use IPv4 or IPv6. Click Next.
8. In this screen, you will provide the vRPA management IP address. This IP address is permanent until deployment is completed and that is the IP address you will use to deploy the RecoverPoint for VMs cluster in the next deployment. Click Next.
Specify the following:
• In the IP Address field, type 192.168.1.101
• In the Subnet Mask field, type 255.255.255.0
• In the Gateway field, type 192.168.1.250
9. Review and confirm the selections you have made, select Power on after deployment and then click Finish to deploy the vRPA.
10. The deployment process will take few minutes to complete. When complete, the vRPA VM will display in the vCenter inventory. This completes this step of deploying the first vRPA.
11. Repeat the above procedure to deploy 2nd vRPA.
12. After the deployment finish, we can start to configure vRecoverPoint Cluster. In next post we will learn how to configure by Deployer.